Who was the first goalkeeper to score a goal from a clearance?

Who was the first goalkeeper to score a goal from a clearance?

Hibernian made headlines because future Scotland goalkeeper Andy Goram scored during a match against Morton. Andy Paterson (Glentoran against Linfield, 1989), Ray Charles (East Fife v Stranraer, 1990), and Iain Hesford are among the other keepers who score off clearances (Maidstone United v Hereford United, 1991).

Goram's goal came in a Scottish Division One match on 15 April 1994 at Easter Road. The hosts were leading 1-0 through an own goal by Morton defender Paul Dalglish but were reduced to 10 men when captain John MacPhail was sent off for a second bookable offence. Replacement goalkeeper Chris Woods went on to score an own goal of his own as Hibernian lost 2-1.

Keepers can also score from direct free kicks or corner kicks. David Edgar and Matt Gilks have both done so for England while Maicon Santos has scored for Brazil during international matches.

The first keeper to score an own goal in a competitive game was Bobby Moore who did so in a World Cup match between England and Germany in June 1958. The ball hit the underside of the crossbar and dropped down into the net past German defender Fritz Walter. It is considered one of the greatest goals in World Cup history. Keepers can also score own goals - this is just one example of many.

Own goals are defined as goals scored by a player that they don't try and stop.

Who was the goalkeeper for Aberdeen in the 1980s?

James Leighton MBE (born 24 July 1958) is a former Scottish football goalkeeper. He played for Aberdeen twice, Manchester United once, and Hibernian once. Leighton was a member of Aberdeen's hugely successful 1980s squad, which won multiple domestic titles as well as the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1983. After retiring from playing he went on to manage several clubs at both national and international levels.

He is currently manager of Scottish Premiership club Heart of Midlothian. As a player, Leighton usually filled in as Aberdeen's first-choice goalkeeper when no more than two players were sent off during a game. He made his debut in the 1979 Scottish League Cup final against Dundee United when Dons manager Alex Ferguson used him instead of the experienced Alan McInally because he could not risk losing either player. The match ended 1-1 after 90 minutes and 2-2 after extra time before being decided by a penalty shoot-out where Leighton saved three penalties to help his team win 4-2.

After only one season with Aberdeen, Leighton was signed by Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson for a transfer fee of £750,000. He made his debut for Man U in a 3-0 victory over Derby County at Old Trafford and was given the number 1 jersey previously worn by Peter Schmeichel.

Who was the Watford goalkeeper who scored his own goal?

He didn't make the shot, but he got the rebound and scored. Watford goalkeeper Steve Sherwood scored against Coventry City in 1984 after one of his clearances tricked the City's goalie, Steve Ogrizovic. Ogrizovic had more luck two years later, when he scored himself while playing against Sheffield Wednesday. However, that score wasn't legal because players aren't allowed to play the ball inside their own penalty area.

Watford were playing at home and were leading 1-0. Coventry attacked furiously looking for a way back into the game, but they couldn't find an opening until late in the second half when Sherwood accidentally deflected a clearance off teammate Ian Pearce into his own net. The referee immediately called for a corner, which Coventry took quickly and sent in again. This time Sherwood came out to meet the ball and put it away easily for another Watford victory.

Sherwood played only one more season for Watford before moving on to Bournemouth. He went on to have a successful career as a coach with several other clubs including Chelsea, Leeds United, and Birmingham City. He died in 2016 at the age of 60.

Now you know one of football's little jokes. Enjoy the game!

Who was the first choice goalkeeper for Rangers in 1972?

He was a member of the Rangers squad that won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 and was the club's first-choice goalkeeper for the most of his 16-year career, despite competition from Gerhardt Neef, Stewart Kennedy, and Jim Stewart. Greig Laidlaw only made six appearances for Rangers before moving on to English side Leeds United.

Rangers lost their first two games in the 1972-73 season and were facing relegation to the Second Division when Greig Laidlaw broke his arm in a 1-1 draw with Celtic. He never played again for Ibrox and was replaced in the starting line-up by younger brother Andy, who went on to play over 100 games for the club.

Andy Laidlaw died at the age of 36 after suffering from leukaemia. Despite losing his father to illness, the young goalkeeper kept playing until he was eventually forced to retire due to injury.

After leaving Rangers, Greig Laidlaw had brief spells with St Johnstone and East Fife before retiring in 1979 at the age of 28.

He later became a coach at his former club, working with the youth team before being appointed goalkeeping coach in 2001. He was also involved in the management committee at Ibrox before his death in 2004 at the age of 49.

Who was the player who scored the most goals in the FA Cup?

Denis Law scored six goals for Huddersfield Town in a game that was called off due to inclement weather. When the replay occurred, his squad was defeated. There are two votes for this answer. St. City Alban's met Dulwich Hamlet in a qualifying round on November 22nd, 1922. St.was Alban's defeated 8-7.

Who is the only goalkeeper to have scored two goals in a game?

It was his second career goal, having scored for the Washington Diplomats in a North American Soccer League game against Atlanta two years prior. After injuring his hand during a league game for Reading in 1962, goalkeeper Arthur Wilkie stepped up front and scored twice as the Royals defeated Halifax Town 4-2. The only other person to score multiple goals by himself is Sergio Santos, who had done so earlier in 2002 while playing with Rio Branco.

Wilkie's brother, Frank, also played professional soccer. He was a forward who appeared in one game for Washington before being sent off. Later that year, he joined Santos as part of an exchange deal involving another player. Frank stayed in the United States for several months before returning home to play for Brazil's Vasco da Gama.

Another brother, Charlie, played five seasons in the American Soccer League. He finished with 16 goals scored and eight assists for 30 points.

The only keeper to have scored two goals in one game are Art Wilkie and Peter Schmeichel. They were both professional keepers who played for Kansas City Comets and Manchester United of the American Soccer League respectively. Both brothers lived in Brazil and played for their national teams. Frank died in an automobile accident in 1964 at the age of 28 while Charlie died in 2009 at the age of 83.

Art Wilkie played seven seasons in the National Football League after finishing with the Diplomats.

About Article Author

Marvin Gaskins

Marvin Gaskins is a natural at what he does. He loves to play sports and has a knack for managing people. Marvin has a degree from one of the top universities in America and offers his services as a sports manager.

Related posts