The famed carriage horses of New York City are housed in four carriage stables. The four stables are all individually held by carriage families, or in the instance of Clinton Park Stables on 52nd St. , by a carriage owner cooperative. They range in size from 50 to 100 acres, with the largest being Clinton Park Stable's property on 59th Street.
These are not regular horse farms - the owners work with their drivers each day to put out calls for jobs, so they can be sent anywhere in the city. Most stable owners also participate in the annual Charity Horse Show, where their horses compete against others in service of a good cause.
Clinton Park Stables was established in 1872, and has been owned by the same family ever since. It covers fifty-two acres near the center of Manhattan, and keeps about eighty horses. The stable handles both carriages and trucks, but most often takes care of former racehorses that will not be able to return to racing due to injury or old age. They receive comprehensive medical care at this stable, as well as training for other types of work. Carriage riding is available daily, with or without an instructor present.
The three other stable owners each have smaller properties, but all use their horses as a source of income just like the larger owners.
Hyde Park, Lewisham Police Station, Great Scotland Yard, Hammersmith, West Hampstead, Bow Road, Kings Cross, and Imber Court in East Molesey, Surrey are all home to the Branch. At the latter location, the horses are trained. When not in duty, they live in comfortable stalls within a secure yard.
Horses used by British police officers are usually either Welsh or Scottish ponies. They are usually between 15 and 17 hands high, with thick, coarse hair and bright eyes. Although they provide essential transport for officers, they do not carry out any criminal investigations.
In most countries including Britain, police horses are employed solely for transport purposes. They play an important role in evacuating injured officers from scenes of incident and transporting prisoners to court.
There is a small army of horses dedicated to helping police officers in their daily duties. They are used for traffic control, aiding disabled officers, and assisting with searches. There are also horses assigned to social work departments that help officers identify missing people and assist others in need of aid. Finally, there are patrol horses that protect communities by searching for criminals.
Police horses serve long hours and often dangerous jobs. They are provided with adequate food and water and have their medical needs taken care of as required. Officers who work with horses learn how to care for them properly and keep them active.
Horseheads is a village in Chemung County, New York, that is located in the United States. According to the 2010 census, the population was 6,461. The name comes from the abundance of bleached skulls left behind by the Sullivan Expedition. These were taken as war trophies by the expedition leaders after they defeated the Seneca Indians in 1779.
Horseheads was first settled around 1790. It was planned out by General George Washington during his time as president of the Confederation Congress. The village was originally known as "Camp Defiance" until it was renamed after its location near a ford on the Chemung River (then known as the Conewango Creek).
There are several theories about how the camp came to be named Horseheads. One theory is that the soldiers based themselves here at the ford and because there were so many horses nearby, they decided to call it Horseheads. Another theory is that the name comes from the fact that there were a lot of bones lying around from previous battles, which looked like horse heads from a distance.
There are no remains of any kind of battle from before the settlement of Horseheads was founded, so these theories are made up to explain what seemed like an odd name at the time.
The first house built in Horseheads was done by John Williams, who owned land along the Conewango Creek.